Campus Move-In Information
Dear JD McCormick Properties Residents,
We are looking forward to having you all live with us for the 2020-21 leasing year! For many of you, we have recently acquired the apartment community you are moving in to and would like to formally welcome you to the JD McCormick Properties Family!
We know that some of you have already experienced the August 14th-15th apartment move-in experience known as “turnover” in the downtown area. It is definitely a unique experience that has had documentaries filmed about it over the years. We want you to have the best possible experience and have provided you with some helpful information to plan for your move-in.
Please keep in mind almost all of the downtown property management companies in Madison use August 14th as their move-out day for lease expirations and August 15th as their move-in day for new lease start dates. This allows for just 24 hours to prepare these apartments in Madison for the new residents moving in to them. Because of that, there are limited numbers of cleaning, painting and carpet shampooing contractors to accommodate the supply and demand. Many of these contractors are working for several property management companies during this two-day period making it their company’s busiest time of the year. We ask for your patience as we all work together to have your new home ready for you.
The JD McCormick Properties staff want you to be happy with your new home. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this high-volume time of year as we all work diligently to get your apartment prepared for you to call home. If by chance, there is something needing attention in your apartment when you arrive that may have been missed, (i.e. cleaning, painting, maintenance service) please inform the office so a solution can be worked out as quickly as possible. Your patience is requested, and definitely appreciated, as we work hard to accommodate all of our valued residents.
Please make note that our JD McCormick Properties Headquarters has moved to 101 N. Mills Street Madison, WI 53715. Our contact number is (608) 819-6500.
We ask that you also pay close attention to our COVID-19 instructions in this detailed packet so you are prepared for move-in day.
Moving can be a very stressful experience, but also an exciting one. You will have many incredible memories to be made in your new apartment that you will carry with you throughout your life. There will be many people in the downtown Madison area moving at the same time, all just as eager as you to move in to their new apartment. If you do not need to move-in on August 15th, we strongly suggest waiting to avoid large crowds, parking issues and congestion in the downtown area. If you are needing to move in, be prepared for slower traffic, longer lines, limited parking, and the August heat. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and please contact us if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome Home & On Wisconsin,
JD McCormick Properties Team
IMPORTANT MOVE-IN INFORMATION:
JD McCormick Properties Office
101 N. Mills Street
Madison, WI 53715
Key Pick Up Hours:
Saturday 8/15/20: 12:00pm-5:00pm
Sunday 8/16/20: 10:00am-2:00pm
Please read all of this information carefully to assist with your move-in.
If you have any further questions after reading move-in information, please refer to your lease documents for clarification. If you can’t find the answer in your lease documents, please email us at email@example.com.
IN ORDER TO PICK UP YOUR KEYS ON 8/15, WE MUST HAVE RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING FROM ALL LEASE HOLDERS IN YOUR APARTMENT:
**In light of COVID-19 and the need for minimal contact, all payments must be made through the Appfolio portal system. Cash, check and money orders WILL NOT be accepted.**
- Notarized Co-Signer/Guarantor of Lease Agreement Forms
- Security Deposit paid in full via Appfolio
- 1st months rent paid in full via Appfolio
If any of this information is missing or not paid in FULL, we will not be able to issue your apartment keys, so please make sure you are communicating with your roommates to ensure that all of these things have been taken care of prior to 8/15 so you can get your keys and move-in.
COVID-19 MOVE-IN KEY PICK-UP PROCEDURES:
The following procedures must be adhered to when picking up keys and moving in on 8/15:
- You must designate one person to pick up the keys for your entire apartment. They must present a photo ID and be wearing a mask while practicing social distancing.
- In accordance to Public Health Madison and Dane County orders, face masks must be worn in all common areas including building hallways, stairwells, garages and while picking up your keys.
- You must practice social distancing and keep 6 feet of distancing while moving and respecting others space during the moving process.
- If you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 per CDC guidelines we ask that you send another roommate to pick up keys and avoid large groups of people.
- If you do not need to move-in on August 15th, we strongly advise you consider picking up your keys at a later date to practice social distancing measures.
Key Pick-Up Information
- You can pick up keys AFTER 12:00pm on Saturday, August 15, 2020 at our 101 N. Mills Street office. There will be two designated key pick-up windows depending on where you will be living when you arrive. Please read the signs and get in line in accordance with where you will be living. Keys can be picked up from 12pm-5pm on Saturday, August 15th. If you can’t pick up keys on Saturday, we will have limited office hours on Sunday, August 16th from 10am-2pm.
- Your security deposit and rent balance MUST be paid via Appfolio prior to keys being issued. We will not be accepting any other forms of payment due to COVID-19.
- All keys for the entire apartment will be issued to the 1 roommate that is designated to pick up keys during the move-in process. Please understand that we CANNOT HOLD KEYS FOR ROOMMATES ARRIVING SEPARATELY. Please communicate with your roommates to designate 1 person to pick up keys.
- We are excited to be partnering with the Best Western InnTowner to offer our residents a discounted rate in the event you need a place to stay prior to your August 15th move-in. Please see the $99 a night rate flyer included in this email.
- If you would like to take early occupancy of your apartment, please contact us THIS WEEK, before 8/7, to sign an early occupancy agreement. We will issue early occupancy keys on Friday, August 14 at 1PM. Please keep in mind if you sign this agreement, you will waive all cleaning, painting and standard turnover procedures!
- We understand that moving is a stressful process. Our lots do require permits but we do allow you to use the lots on August 15th ONLY if you are ACTIVELY moving in. Please remove your vehicle immediately after unloading to ensure a smooth move-in for everyone. Please be advised that any vehicles without a permit that are not being used for active move-in will be ticketed and/or towed.
- If you have already signed a parking contract, your parking permit will be in your move in packet when you come to get your keys. You must pay for your first month of parking via Appfolio prior to getting your keys on 8/15. If you have underground parking, there will also be a $50.00 garage remote deposit due on your Appfolio account that must be paid prior to getting your apartment keys on 8/15.
- We have already sent in your MGE form with your lease. If you do not live at The Lake House or Brooks House, you responsible for setting up your own internet package. We recommend setting this up as soon as possible to avoid any delays in receiving service. When calling you must give them your move-in date of August 15th to activate service and determine the service plan that will work best for your budget and apartments needs.
- If your apartment is furnished, you will be receiving the furniture specified on your furniture agreement. Please keep in mind that it takes our staff several days to get all of the furniture to the correct apartments. We ask for your patience during this time.
- Please be advised that changes can no longer be made to your furniture agreement.
- Your apartment does not include items such as vacuum cleaners, plungers, cleaning products, towels, shower curtains, dishes, silverware, bed linens, hangers, etc so please plan accordingly.
- For your own comfort, we strongly recommend the use of slip covers for sofas and loveseats, and mattress pads for beds.
IMPORTANT FURNITURE INFORMATION
Please take a few moments to familiarize yourself with how furniture is distributed to our furnished locations during the move-in process. Since we allow our residents to customize their furniture preferences in some locations, it is impossible for us to have everything delivered within a 24-hour time frame. To avoid any confusion we wanted to explain when you can anticipate your furniture being delivered if it is not already in your apartment when you move-in. Thank you in advance for your cooperation with our staff as they work to bring you the specific furniture you requested at the time of signing your lease. Though the majority of furniture will probably be in your apartment on August 15th, below is a general guideline to when furniture will be delivered.
August 14th & 15th: Bed mattresses, Bunks, Bed Frames
August 16th & 17th: Dressers and Desks
August 19th & 20th: Tables and Chairs, Couches and Loveseats
If your furniture is not complete by August 21st, please submit a maintenance request on the Appfolio portal.
Please remember that per your furniture agreement you have given consent and permission to JD McCormick Properties staff to enter your unit in order to make any adjustments necessary in order to complete the requested furniture arrangements.
Listed below is a list of furniture return dates. If you no longer need a piece of JD McCormick Properties furniture you initially requested when signing your lease, please bring it down to the Campus Village underground garage at 9 Gerry Court on any of the following dates to have it removed from your furniture inventory.
Tuesday, August 18th from 2pm-4pm
Wednesday, August 26th from 12pm-2pm
Thursday, September 3rd from 1pm-3pm
- We will be having our maintenance and contractors working as quickly as possible during turnover, but unfortunately, it is difficult for them to complete everything by the time everyone moves in. Therefore, they may arrive after you have moved your things in. Please bear with us, and them, since everyone works as hard and as quickly as possible during this time.
- Your apartment condition check-in sheet must be returned to our office within SEVEN DAYS of when the first person picks up keys to the apartment.
- Please submit ALL maintenance requests in writing, SEPARATE from your check-in sheet in Appfolio. Our staff works as quickly as possible during this busy time on a first come, first serve basis. Emergency repairs (i.e water & electricity) will be handled as a priority.
Apartment Related Questions & Answers
August 14th and 15th are very busy dates for move in downtown. Hopefully, the information below will answer any questions you may have about painting, cleaning or carpet shampooing. If you have issues immediately after move in please return to your move in station for re-inspection. After August 15th please let the office know if your apartment still needs servicing. Thank you for your patience and know that we will get to your apartment as soon as we can.
All apartments are inspected to see if painting is required once the unit is vacated. We have several painting companies working with us to ensure that all units that need it are completed prior to move in on August 15th. However, some trim painting may be left until after move in and ceilings are not painted unless absolutely necessary. Please contact management if your apartment has not been painted and needs it or the paint job has been left incomplete.
The cleaning companies are going to clean and sanitize the main areas including the kitchen and bathroom(s). Please come prepared to do the more detailed cleaning yourselves. If you are not satisfied with the cleanliness of your apartment, please contact management to request a re-inspection.
Making your move-in shopping list? Don’t forget to add these essential items!
Here are a few items you should remember to bring with you. You should expect to do a little cleaning on arrival as well. Don’t forget extra cleaning products you may need daily due to COVID.
- Dinnerware & Cups
- Pots & Pans
- Pot Holders & Trivet
- Coffee Maker or Tea Kettle
- Kitchen Towels & Rug
- Sponges & Kitchen Cleaner
- Britta and Pitchers
- Food and Snacks, additional food storage bins
- Shower Curtain, Liner & Rings
- Hair Trap for Shower Drains
- Toilet Brush & Cleaner
- Bath Rug(s)
- Bath & Hand Towels
- Toilet Paper
- Hand soap, toothbrush, toothpaste and toiletries
- Sheets and Bedding
- Desk Chair
- Nightstand & Lamp
- Pictures and keepsakes from home
- Cozy blankets
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Power Strips
- Floor Lamps
- Swiffer or Broom & Dust Pan
- Clorox Wipes & Other Cleaning Products
- Hand Sanitizer
- First Aid Kit
- Entry Rug
- Paper Towels
Moped and Car Parking Options with JD McCormick Properties:
Need parking for the upcoming 2020-21 year? Fabulous! We’ve got some great parking options for you!
Car Parking Options
Surface lot: $150 a month for a 12 month contract.
Underground lots: (There is a $50 remote deposit.)
Campus Village: $170 a month for a 12 month contract and $195 a month for a 9 month contract.
210 Lakelawn Place $185 a month for a 12 month contract and $210 a month for a 9 month contract.
Moped Parking Options:
Underground parking is $100 per semester and $25 for summer.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in a parking contract.
We look forward to seeing you soon!